Guinness book of surfing records
Guinness book of world records have been known for recording some of the worlds craziest records. Here are some of the surfing world records, from the largest wave ever surfed to the longest wave ever surfed.
1. Largest wave surfed (unlimited) – female and male
On the 11th of February Maya Gabeira rode the largest wave at Nazaré, at a height of 22.4 meters, some 73 feet. She broke the record at WSLs tow surfing event.
- Who: MAYA GABEIRA
- When: 11 FEBRUARY 2020
- Where: PORTUGAL (NAZARÉ)
- What: 22.4 METRE(S)
On the 8th of November 2017 Rodrido Koxa surfed a big wave at a height of 24.38 meters, 80feet. Also at Nazaré, this was authenticated by Quiksilver XXL Biggest Wave Awards judging committee.
- Who: RODRIGO KOXA
- When: 08 NOVEMBER 2017
- Where: PORTUGAL (NAZARÉ)
- What: 24.38 METRE(S)
2. The largest collection of surfboards
Donald Dettloff has a collection of 647 surfboards, the largest collection of surfboards in the world. His houses grounds in Hawaii are luckily large enough to store his impressive collection scaling back more then 50 years.
- Who: DONALD DETTLOFF
- When: 05 NOVEMBER 2009
- Where: UNITED STATES (HAIKU, MAUI, HAWAII)
- What: 647 TOTAL NUMBER
3. Longest surfing ride on a river bore
On the 10th of March 2016 James Cotton rode the longest bore wave in Indonesia for 17.2Km. A bore wave is a tidal wave on a river, his ride at some sections where the wave was 8feet high.
- Who: JAMES COTTON
- When: 10 MARCH 2016
- Where: INDONESIA (KAMPAR RIVER)
- What: 17.2 KM KILOMETRE(S)
4. Largest surfing lesson (single venue)
On the 23rd of June 2018 the largest surf lesson was held in Portugal 327 people took the pludge that day. There is know details on if any of them took a second lesson.
- Who: REACT SPORTS MANAGEMENT
- When: 23 JUNE 2018
- Where: PORTUGAL (LISBOA)
- What: 327 PEOPLE
5. Fastest 50 m crowd surfing
We support all types of surfing and on the 1st of July 2016, Shawn Royster and the crowd based him along to make the fastest crowd surfer in the world.
- Who: SHAWN ROYSTER
- When: 01 JULY 2016
- Where: UNITED STATES (LOWELL)
- What: 1:33.29 MINUTE(S):SECOND(S)
6. Longest wave surfed by a dog (open water)
Dogs are surfers too, although they require help from their owners but Abbie rode the longest wave on the 18th of October 2011 in San Diego. Well done pupper.
- Who: ABBIE GIRL (OWNED BY MICHAEL UY)
- When: 18 OCTOBER 2011
- Where: UNITED STATES (SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA)
- What: 107.2 METRE(S)
7. World’s largest surfboard: 66 catch a wave
In 2015 66 surfers took up the largest surfboard challenge with the help of Epic Big Board Ride and a massive fork lift. The massive nearly 13 meter surfboard actually was able to surf, good fun!
- Who: Surfers
- When: 2015
- Where: Huntington Beach
- What: 66 people
8. Most surfboards stacked on a car
Sadly no photo which makes me feel like its an old wifes tale, but somehow some people managed to stack 282 surfboards onto some roofracks. Not quite sure how legal that is to drive, but still an impressive feet.
- Who: 90’s Surfers
- Where: UNITED STATES (SANTA BARBARA)
- What: 282 Surfboards
9. Longest time spent surfing a wave male/female
On the 21st of October Ashleigh Shaddix surfed the longest single man made wave on a lake. A true endurance test!
- Who: ASHLEIGH SHADDIX
- When: 21 OCTOBER 2013
- Where: UNITED STATES (OCALA)
- What: 2/18/24 HOUR(S):MINUTE(S):SECOND(S)
On March 19th 2011 Gary Saavedra surf the longest wave in Panama, also boat made boat. Saavedra was the first person ever allowed by the Panama Canal Authority to surf the canal. Saavedra is a 13-time national surfing champion in Panama.
- Who: GARY SAAVEDRA
- When: 19 MARCH 2011
- Where: PANAMA (PANAMA CITY)
- What: 3/55/02 HOUR(S):MINUTE(S):SECOND(S)
10. Longest distance swum by a robot on a single set of AA batteries
Thanks to Panasonic they created a little surfer dude who did the longest surf paddle of 3km on one battery charge. In celebration of their 100th anniversary, the company attempted to achieve this record with a tiny and powerful robot that operated on and had the name of EVOLTA, their strongest battery.
- Who: PANASONIC CORPORATION
- When: 10 NOVEMBER 2018
- Where: JAPAN (HATSUKAICHI)
- What: 3.002 KILOMETRE(S)
Top Tip: Why not apply for your own record. Guinness World Record Sign Up
RELATED ARTICLE:WHICH CELEBRITIES CAN SURF?